Skip to content

expectations

March 1, 2011

Did you notice that this post didn’t appear on a Tuesday morning? Did you expect it to?

Advertisements
8 Comments leave one →
  1. March 1, 2011 6:07 pm

Did you expect all the content to be in the main post?

It doesn’t really matter if you did or you didn’t. I went to bed last night feeling that I should write something to meet the weight of a perceived expectation.

It got me thinking about all those times we feel that our customers/clients/friends/partners expect us to behave in a certain way and then we act.

Then there are the times that we don’t stop to consider whether we might have created an expectation that we need to meet.

Both situations can lead to disappointment.

Perhaps the key is understanding their expectations and then exceeding them? Or perhaps delivering in a surprising or different way?

2. Megan permalink
    March 1, 2011 6:53 pm

I like it.

• March 2, 2011 7:21 am

So my next question would be “Why?”

• Megan permalink
        March 4, 2011 3:42 pm

Did you expect me to go into my usual spiel and set of personal reflections? *cheeky grin* I think I very much react to both my expectations of others and others’ expectations of me. Funnily enough, I did not expect a Tuesday blog, and surprised myself that i did not notice that it was Tuesday thing. I normally notice these things, but it did not bother me 1. that I didn’t notice the pattern. 2. that the blog didn’t arrive. I just enjoyed it once it came.

3. Gavin permalink
    March 1, 2011 9:45 pm

Who created/defined the expectation?

• March 2, 2011 3:50 am

I did. Some of it based on external expectations but also based on my own expectations for myself. The ‘disappointment’ is not always the disappointment of others, we can be disappointed based on our own expectations of how we should perform/ what we should deliver. That didn’t really come across I suppose. I suspect that I was the only one who felt the pressure of the expectation to publish every Tuesday morning (there is research to suggest that is the time to send to maximise the number of people who open the email and read it). That got me thinking – how many other situations do I feel an expectation that only I have created?

4. March 2, 2011 9:41 am

For what it’s worth – I was wondering where it was

Trackbacks